I think this might be why, of all the new series’ companions, I don’t like Martha Jones.
Rose, Donna and Amy didn’t want to leave ‘My Doctor’, ‘Raggedy Man’ or ‘Spaceboy’, but they didn’t have a choice.
Martha Jones just walked away.
Martha’s family had just gone through a year of hell. A year of being TORTURED, a year where they were threatened with DEATH every day, a year where they saw horrors unimaginable. They needed her.
Martha herself just went through a year of hell. A year where she was hunted every day. A year where there was a special forces unit tasked with doing nothing but tracking her down. A year where she saw an entire country burn in front of her eyes. A year where she witnessed more death and destruction than any one person should ever have to. A year where she saved the universe not with magic TARDIS/Metacrisis/Universe crack powers but with her own brains, cunning, determination and willpower. She needed her family.
She had also just spent a year in love with a man who didn’t love her back. A man who was often dismissive of her thoughts and feelings. A man who she had to watch fall in love with another woman and accuse her of being his executioner after two months of going from being a doctor to a maid in an era when she was thought of as less than a person because of the color of her skin. Then three more month of working in a shop to support him. Her thanks for those things was “thank you” and a hug. She went through a year where she TIME AND AGAIN proved herself, delivered the impossible and yet was judged unworthy just because she wasn’t someone she’d never met. And THEN the year of literal hell.
Put yourself in her shoes for just a minute.
She made absolutely the right decision, for her own mental and emotional well being, and for her family’s. She still cared for him, she gave him a lifeline back to her, but she couldn’t survive in that environment anymore, having her self esteem torn down every day after she had proved over and over just how amazing she was.
FOREVER APPRECIATE MARTHA.
i swear, martha haters, not one of you has an inch of logic or reason in your body
sweet lord, that rebuttal is perfect.
This is perfect.
Also, she was brave for leaving the Doctor. And I admire her for that. (I mean, of course my inner shipper wanted differently…) She knew it was the best. She knew she didn’t have to tie herself to a man who didn’t love her back. And for all the adventures, she thanked him. For all the misfortunes, she still thanked him.
Martha is flawless. Shut the fuck up.
It’s not that she left or her reasons behind it that point me towards not liking her. It’s the fact that she didn’t belong. She was not the most willing or wanting companion.
Rose wanted excitement, and her thoughts on The Doctor were, “I don’t care how he feels about me, I just want to keep feeling this way for the rest of my life”
Donna knew the first time she met The Doctor that she wasn’t ready yet, but after she had the taste of meaning, she sought out trouble in the off-chance she’d come back in contact with him. Throughout her stay on the TARDIS, she held herself as an equal, not as some sort of lover. Her mindset was “I love traveling and making a difference. This is fun!”
Amy was desperate for help when The Doctor found her. Fourteen years of waiting gave her some subconscious attachment to him, and when she hopped on board, it was that plus pre-wedding gitters that got her onto the TARDIS. After a few adventures and The Doctor realizing the signals that Rose gave him, and Martha wanted to give him, he brought on Rory to bring them together. All in all, Amy’s thoughts were “My life is boring and The Doctor needs my help”
Martha has a bit of a different story. All of her turmoil was with her family. She had a good career, and a perfectly fine life, but her parents were divorced, and her mother didn’t trust her. She was only sold on becoming The Doctor’s companion after a family dinner went south, and even then it was sort of like a quick get away. She fell for The Doctor for just taking notice in her. She was competent, but lacked the general enthusiasm that the companions most of the fandom love have. She’s too eager to please, and doesn’t just enjoy herself. She has a laugh now and again, but was just too sad that The Doctor didn’t feel for her the same way she did for him. You can talk about all the things she accomplished, her time with TORCHWOOD and UNIT, her being trusted with Osterhagen Key (probably butchered the spelling), her traveling around the world spreading the word of The Doctor, but the fact is that she was boring, and had too much to leave behind.
To repeat: We don’t like Martha because she isn’t entertaining, not because of any sort of lingering feelings for Rose, or how she decided to leave. Aggie is a fine actress, but her character is just so dull.
- facepalmcombox2 reblogged this from tea-solves-everything
- tymp3st likes this
- iluvwind reblogged this from yawnosaurus
- yawnosaurus reblogged this from ame-and-yuki
- tea-solves-everything reblogged this from chikyourisenka
- mbermatic reblogged this from chikyourisenka
- mbermatic likes this
- chikyourisenka reblogged this from lemony-cakes
- chikyourisenka likes this
- darkerthanafeather likes this
- xiilnek likes this
- bearfactiongirl reblogged this from lemony-cakes
- lemony-cakes reblogged this from lovinghimwasgreenandgold
- poppinglikedaisies reblogged this from agnostica-fiesta
- agnostica-fiesta reblogged this from cartooniack1994
- howimettheslayer reblogged this from chartruse
- chartruse reblogged this from survivorfirestarterslayer
- survivorfirestarterslayer reblogged this from felicitysnowk
- n0rthern-l1ghts reblogged this from felicitysnowk
- dobby-is-the-free-house-elf reblogged this from merryadoc-brandybuck
- pepperonitree likes this
- unmasqed reblogged this from geneticdragon
- watermarkedheart likes this
- the-roaming-elf reblogged this from ladylinabug
- ladylinabug reblogged this from snowlockedholmes and added:
- allonsyepicsnowman reblogged this from thecapailluisce
- thecapailluisce reblogged this from centaurdis
- centaurdis reblogged this from fiftyyearsandstillnotginger
- the-yellow-jesus reblogged this from nobitchitsmydesign
- lilny5613 likes this
- that-odd-teenage-girl reblogged this from fiftyyearsandstillnotginger
- tardis-lost-her-grace reblogged this from fiftyyearsandstillnotginger
- fiftyyearsandstillnotginger reblogged this from felicitysnowk
- keepyoureyesonthepizza reblogged this from infallibleherondale
- infallibleherondale reblogged this from lokilaufeysgirl
- ninja-princess-warrior reblogged this from brianholdensbulge
- kastiyana reblogged this from gabiotasol and added:
- gabiotasol reblogged this from pleasedienow
- skruffie likes this
- s0ufflegirl likes this
- megtherocket reblogged this from lightningparadox
- lightningparadox reblogged this from brianholdensbulge
- brolden-in-spandex likes this
- brianholdensbulge reblogged this from syntheticaesthetic
- feelingtardisblue reblogged this from kleidausrosen
- stetstonwith-abullet-hole reblogged this from syntheticaesthetic
- savealice likes this
- the-art-student-in-221c likes this
- whimsicalcircles likes this